News for Members by Jane Bowden
Dates for your diary | Courts and Clubhouse | Social and Fundraising Events | Competitions/Match Play | Social Play | Coaching and Juniors | Membership | Other News | Next Committee meeting
Dates for your diary
- 17th April: closing date for first set of Wimbledon tickets (Notts LTA) draw
- 1st May 1.30pm: Main Wimbledon draw in the clubhouse
- 9th May, 7.30pm: Next Committee meeting
- Saturday 14th May (1-4pm ish) GBTW – help will be needed please to encourage participants and show how friendly we are!
- Sundays 15th, 22nd and 29th May, 2pm onwards – 3 courts used for Junior mini league competition (see below) and Quorn Cup (15th May) – see below for details
Courts and Clubhouse
- Bob has asked the court cleaners to add sand to the courts which should improve them still further. Once that is done we will need to sweep them after use unless they are too wet. Date to be confirmed.
- Shed: We thought the shed was beyond repair but it seems that the floor and walls have miraculously remained sturdy despite the almost non existent roof. Our plan is therefore to re roof the shed with wood and roofing felt. Any offers of help would be much appreciated!
Social and Fundraising Events
- Lots of people expressed interest in another dinner so I have approached Finton’s to ask if they will host a Start of Season dinner on either Friday 29th April or 6th May. I’m awaiting their response, and a menu and price.
- Singles League The sign up sheet is in the club house now!
- Junior Mini Leagues: These are being organised by Joss and OTB to give Juniors match experience and will run on Sundays 15th May (2 till5), 22nd May (2 till 6) and 29th May (2 till 5). Court 4 will still be available for social play.
- Quorn Cup: This is a red ball doubles short tennis competition which OTB will run on Sunday 15th May. It’s open to any child born on or after 1st September 2005 with a family member (any relationship) born on or after 31st August 1997. You do not have to be a member to join in. There will be prizes and a lot of fun.
- The first Aegon League match took place on Saturday. I got the format wrong last time; it’s 4 singles matches and 2 doubles, all best of 3 sets. It was a pity more people didn’t come down to watch as the standard was stunning (county+)! Saul’s singles took 3 hours to complete…and he won. Unfortunately we didn’t win overall.
- We have a fourth men’s team this summer with Mark Green as the captain. This is aimed particularly at bringing on juniors.
- With all teams, if you are keen to play and haven’t been asked then please have a word with the relevant captain; it isn’t always easy for captains to know everyone in the club.
- The sign up sheet for the Club Tournament is now up in the club house. If you do not have a partner for the doubles, don’t worry as Doug and Saul will sort partners out.
The main summer social play sessions (just turn up and mix in) are:
- Thursday evening 6pm onwards – ladies doubles takes priority, but all men are welcome, including Juniors who have played for teams or been invited due to their standard of play. It would be great if more men could come down on Thursdays.
- Saturday 1.30 onwards: Mixed doubles takes priority. The committee has recently agreed that Juniors who play for teams or who have been invited, due to their standard of play, should be able to join in on these sessions.
- Sunday 1.30/2.00 onwards: Family social play doubles. Everyone welcome. If parents bring children/juniors who do not wish to join in, then court 4 can be used for them to play. Just watch out for matches and the Junior competitions which sometimes end up on Sunday afternoons. Refreshments will sometimes be available!
- Monday evening: No-one has indicated that they are interested in Monday evening social tennis, so if you’d like to play then it will be necessary to organise yourselves, i.e. it won’t be ‘turn up and mix in’. On Mondays when there are committee meetings this will be different as we like to play before meeting, but we will all disappear from the courts at 7.30!
- Feel free to use the courts at all other times but, wherever possible, avoid Court 1 as this is far more worn than the others.
- The single’s league will generally have priority over 2 courts on a Monday evening, Friday evening and Saturday and Sunday evenings after about 5.
Please note that Wednesday is Men’s Match Practice night. Selected Juniors will be encouraged to join in with this session.
Balls for social play: The quality of balls available for social play has sometimes been a problem, especially with all the wet weather, and we are currently looking at a system to ensure that there is a constant supply of reasonable quality balls. Further email to follow.
Coaching and Juniors
- Juniors: There will be a new, free 6 week coaching course starting after Easter for 5 to 8 year olds led by Joss and OTB and funded by the Davis Cup Legacy Fund. This course is now full.
- There will also be further coaching sessions for juniors on a Wednesday evening – contact Joss or OTB for information.
- Adult Pay and Play sessions for members and non members will continue: contact OTB for days and times.
- Adult tactics/match play coaching: Unfortunately Matt from OTB had flu (and is still poorly) so this was cancelled. He is keen to try to arrange some other similar sessions.
- Saturday Morning Adults: Andy Gardiner runs 2 great sessions (9-10 and 10-11) for adults. It’s a sort of Cardio fun tennis session and a bargain at £2. Just turn up. These will start again after the holidays.
Our priority is increasing membership!
- Subscriptions (unchanged from last year) are now due. Contact Bob if you need any special arrangements with paying – we try to be flexible, as well as good value for money.
- At the GBTW on 14th May we will once again be offering a special 8 week membership rate for families. Please spread the word.
- We still need a young (well, relatively!), dynamic person with a commitment to developing the club to take over as Chair. Have a chat with Bob Bridges (remaining Co Chair) if you think you might be able to take this on. Co-chairing has worked well, so a pair of people to share the job would be fine.
- Thanks too to those members who have returned the Members’ Survey. Please can I have the rest! (Especially from younger members and families.)
- Keys: Captains and committee members should all have keys to the clubhouse and ball/refreshments cupboard. If you have been a captain in the past and still have keys, could you please return them as some current captains do not have any.
- Wimbledon tickets: We have been allocated Wimbledon tickets by the Notts LTA (2 pairs) and the national LTA (7 pairs). The Notts ones have been advertised by email and the draw will close at midnight on Sunday 17th April. More people have expressed interest in these than the number of tickets so there will be a draw on Monday. The remaining tickets are being advertised on the board at the clubhouse. Please familiarise yourself with the rules (also on the board). The draw will take place on Sunday 1st May at 1.30.
Next Committee meeting
Next Committee meeting: Monday 9th May 2016, 7.30 in the clubhouse