News for Members by Jane Bowden
Dates for your diary | Courts and Clubhouse | Social and Fundraising Events | Competitions/Match Play | Social Play | Coaching and Juniors | Membership | Other News
Dates for your diary
- 19th February: last day for opting in to the Wimbledon Ballot on the LTA website (more opt ins = more tickets allocated to the club for our in house ballot)
- 23rd February and 1st March: Summer League Fixtures meeting
- 12th March – Attenborough Memorabilia Day in village Hall (see below)
- 21st March, 7.30pm: Next Committee meeting
- End of March: End of Wednesday evening social play at Tennis Centre
- Saturday 14th May (2-4pm) GBTW
- Sundays 15th, 22nd and 29th May, 2pm onwards – 3 courts used for Junior mini league competition (see below)
Courts and Clubhouse
- The cold weather has improved the courts markedly, but we still need to be careful when using them, especially after prolonged rain. The Committee are looking to get all courts thoroughly cleaned and treated again, but this will be very expensive and may need to wait for some better weather. Take care! With continued drier weather, we will soon need to start brushing them again. This extends their life so is worth doing (even though it’s a bit of a pain!).
- The water heater in the kitchen has stopped working. I am in the process of getting an electrician or plumber to replace it, but if anyone in the club knows someone who could do this for us, please let me know ASAP (07749794706). The same with PAT testing.
- Since the trees have been cut down, the extent of the ‘wear and tear’ on the equipment shed is now apparent. Our plan was to reroof it but, given its decrepit state, we are now looking to replace it.
Social and Fundraising Events
- There are no specific dates as yet but we are considering a ten pin bowling evening, another ‘fun’ Liz tournament and possibly another start of season dinner. Any feedback on your interest (or not!) would be helpful.
- Notts LTA awards night: 26th February at Meadow Lane, Notts County ground. If you are interested in attending, please contact Rosie Watkins at the LTA headquarters ASAP.
The weather has wreaked havoc on fixtures in the winter leagues but they will all get played…eventually, I’m sure.
- Singles League: This was a great success last year and Doug will be putting up notices for the 2016 version to run through the summer from early May. Please note it is for ladies and men!
- Junior Mini Leagues: These are being organised by Joss and OTB to give Juniors match experience and will run on Sundays 15th May (2 till5), 22nd May (2 till 6) and 29th May (2 till 5). Court 4 will still be available for social play.
- We now have a team in the Aegon singles league (See Mike Ab for details)
- The summer league fixtures meetings are on 23rd February and 1st March. If you are able/interested in going to set the fixtures (it’s quite entertaining!) contact Bob Bridges (firstname.lastname@example.org) . I have still not heard the outcome of the consultation on the format for the summer league.
The main summer social play sessions (just turn up and mix in) are:
- Thursday evening 6pm onwards – ladies doubles takes priority, but all men are welcome, including Juniors who have played for teams or been invited due to their standard of play.
- Saturday 1.30 onwards: Mixed doubles takes priority. The committee has recently agreed that Juniors who play for teams or who have been invited, due to their standard of play, should be able to join in on these sessions.
- Sunday 1.30/2.00 onwards: Family social play doubles. Everyone welcome. If parents bring children/juniors who do not wish to join in, then court 4 can be used for them to play.
- Monday evening If there are enough people interested we can also reinstate the Monday evening social. Please let me know and I will advertise it.
- Feel free to use the courts at all other times but, wherever possible, avoid Court 1 as this is far more worn than the others.
Please note that Wednesday is Men’s Match Practice night. Selected Juniors will be encouraged to join in with this session.
Winter Play: As well as weekend social play, this year we have had Wednesday night social play at the Tennis Centre. Despite some problems with court and light quality, these sessions have been really well attended and enjoyable. Many thanks to everyone involved with setting these up, especially Mike Ab, Dawn, Graham and Roger (our ‘bookers’). these will finish at the end of March (although our intrepid trio of bookers will retain the right to book courts for free after that.)
Coaching and Juniors
- Juniors: There will be a new, free 6 week coaching course starting after Easter for 5 to 8 year olds led by Joss and OTB and funded by the Davis Cup Legacy Fund. Contact OTB for details of the whole coaching programme.
- There will also be further coaching sessions for juniors on a Wednesday evening – contact Joss or OTB for information.
- Adult Pay and Play sessions for members and non members will continue: contact OTB for days and times.
- Adult tactics/match play coaching: Matt Wildt from OTB will be doing a couple of Thursday evening coaching sessions aimed at all team players to improve match play. There will be a small charge (TBC). Please email me (email@example.com) if you would be interested in this.
- Saturday Morning Adults: Andy Gardiner runs 2 great sessions (9-10 and 10-11) for adults. It’s a sort of Cardio fun tennis session and a bargain at £2. Just turn up.
Our priority is increasing membership!
- All parents/carers of juniors who are members and who are interested in playing more widely in the club, are therefore being offered free full membership until the end of March 2016. This entitles them to play at all social tennis times, matches etc. with or without their ‘Junior’. Just send your name and contact details to Bob Bridges (firstname.lastname@example.org) We are a very friendly and welcoming bunch…really!
- Paula Hammond, our President, is organising a an Attenborough Memorabilia Day on Saturday 12th March in the village hall. She has a number of historical items about the tennis club which could be used to make a table display as part of this event. This could be a great opportunity to advertise the club (and increase membership) but we need someone to just pull it together, i.e. get a few people to man the table for about an hour at a time, to talk to people and show them how lovely we are! Unfortunately I am away that weekend so cannot take this on. Contact me if you could help – it really shouldn’t be too onerous.
- At the GBTW in May we will once again be offering a special 8 week membership rate for families. Please spread the word.
- Sadly, Mike Abrahamson has resigned as Co Chair of the club committee. Mike has worked tirelessly for the club and for tennis in the area, on a whole range of issues including the introduction and running of the Short Format leagues, the LTA Tennis Awards Night, the development of the club as well as organising and running the club tournament for many, many years. We therefore need a young (well, relatively!), dynamic person with a commitment to developing the club to take over! Have a chat with Bob Bridges (remaining Co Chair) if you think you might be able to take this on. Co-chairing has worked well, so a pair of people to share the job would be fine.
- And finally, some good news: subs will remain the same for the 2016/17 season. The Family Membership subscription is also being reinstated as we have a number of families involved with the club -details from Bob.
Next Committee meeting: Monday 21st March 2016, 7.30 in the clubhouse.